Friday, September 28, 2012

Dream a little dream

Last night I was laying in bed listening to Owen giggle and then he said "puppah" a handful of times.  It was wonderful.  The thing is it got me to wondering.   Does Owen talk in his dreams?  Does he dream that we can understand him? Does he dream that he goes outside to play with the neighborhood kids instead of therapy?

I don't know because he can't tell me.

But, he can tell me "open" when prompted to open up a juice box.  He can say "puppah" for puppy and "iPad" like he's the son of Steve Jobs.  It is progress and I'm thrilled.  He also understands everything.  I can tell him to go potty and then send him back to flush and wash his hands and he doesn't bat an eye.

The world of Special Needs can be so much worse than just Autism and Apraxia.  This I know is true, but, as Monday is October 1st our calendar year rolls over for insurance which means we are back to insurance copays.  $27.40 for each Speech and OT visit.  We pay $54.80 for our boy to go to Miss Sarah in hopes he learns to speak.  It's a small price to pay, but for a family that is facing unemployment like Rich who's been out of work for the 2nd time in 3 years, it's a lot and that's just a small drop in the bucket for the world of Autism.

$54.80 a week.  What do you spend $50 or so bucks a week on?

Dinner at Chili's with no alcohol for a few people is easily $50-60 and people spend that without batting an eye.  Do you smoke?  Chances are you are spending what we pay for the little man to speak to pollute your lungs and the air.    I'm grateful we have such good insurance. I can't imagine paying all this out of pocket.  This does make me wonder how many people realize how grateful they should be...

Do you know?

I hope so.

No comments: